Sunday, April 19, 2015

i didn't know

I didn’t know every high school in our board has a Facebook Page.  Maybe I just have not been aware of many things that go on in the high school since my youngest graduated a few years back.  Of course they have facebook pages!  They would for sure not be considered 21st century if they did not.  





While perusing my old alma mater Denis Morris it occurred to me  how beneficial this would be for Adult Education.  We could post success stories, upcoming events, special awards, graduation information and build a whole community of learners seeking to improve their life chances.  Even though I may think this would be an exciting step for our adult school, often times my ideas are shot down, citing financial resources and many other reasons why we can’t do whatever I propose.  It sometimes only adds to my frustration, like the wifi monitors that are all set up and yet unusable for those “whatever” reasons again.

I was curious about what the ministry site had to offer adult students.  To my surprise I found online courses available at the Independent Learning Centre  They cost $40.00 a credit and I suppose that is not too costly for most.  Our school charges a fee of $15, while the public offers their courses for free.  The problem that some of my students who have tried these courses is the same.  They can’t get a response when trying to find someone to help.  It is no wonder many drop out of the course because they have lost interest waiting for a response!  


Wow though, when  I did wander through the enrollment for ILC, I discovered a program the Ontario Trillium Foundation is backing that enables low income learners to have a computer in their home.  RCT or Renewed Computer Technology could be just the ticket for some of my present students.  I recall mentioning in an earlier post how I believe many without a computer at home because of financial reasons , fall behind in their ability to navigate the internet.  This program could level the playing field for families and give them a leg up for their efforts.  I shall share it with my students and I am certain several will benefit!  Thanks for leading me in that direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment