Friday, April 24, 2015

exceptional

I would estimate that almost 90% 
of my students have some form of a learning disability. That may be why they ended up with me, in adult education.  If not a learning disability, perhaps they may be plagued with problems in living which have prevented them from acquiring their high school diploma.  I have also taught several other students who have come back to upgrade their mark in hopes of entering their desired program in college.  No matter which way you look at it , from my perspective they need all the help they can get.  With each eclectic classroom, the student somehow come together and build a community of shared learning.  

As for my organization in the classroom, when doing collaborative work I will match and pair students with opposite abilities as most teachers would.  With adults it is an amazing dynamic to see the different ages and cultures interacting.  With technology, each classroom seems to have a wide spectrum of abilities that will assist others in the class.  

When the class first begins I emphasize how we are all in this together and how they are obligated to share their knowledge.  I also explain how “Application” is using the knowledge they have learned to teach others.  I will be looking to give extra credit to those who are able to teach others, so the whole class progresses together. 



In an earlier post I had mentioned how important it is for students to have access to a computer at home.  This will build upon class progress and give them a chance to really work with the programs on their own time.  Happy to say, four of my students are taking advantage of the Renewed Computer Technology Recycle Program and they will pick up their computer next week.  I am so glad they will benefit from the 21st century home that includes a computer!

One of my first teaching assignments included an adult with down syndrome.  He was quite savvy with the computer and I remember how empowered he felt when he was able to teach others basic procedures.  Another student who seemed to be disengaged, took to him and together they created a wonderful project.  Technology yes but, as with any student, sometimes a  combination of both technology and social interaction will make it all blend  together!
Image result for down syndrome adult male

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic post Ada. It is no wonder that you are so willing to think outside the box, to always try new methods and new tools. This is so key to ensuring that more students are successful. I was one of those students. The students that I work with, while "Gifted" would fall into the same category as you discuss here. Many of them are "exceptional" and are not always successful in their schooling. Good learners....just not great at school. Do you feel that your experience working with Special Education has changed how you, yourself, view education?

    ReplyDelete