Saturday, April 25, 2015

Assistive Technology

I have discovered three assistive technology tools.  Not that I use them in my class, but I can see where each can be very beneficial not only for the student it was intended, but all students in their class as well.


Assistive Technology for Kids with Learning Disabilities is defined as any device, piece of equipment or system that helps bypass, work around or compensate for an individual's specific learning deficits.”


I found this program called Dragon that would be pretty amazing for any student to work with.  It helps them put down all their ideas instead of getting all frustrated with the spelling and language.  I believe this program will allow the student a chance to be creative.  If this was available when my Brock was younger, he would be able to express himself much better than he does.


Found another for really young children called Bitesize Dance Mat Typing.  This program helps the young students to master the keyboard.  It interacts with your own keyboard using a colorful template.  This is exactly what my 9 year old grandson who has issues with his letters could use to help him develop those skills.  He is at a stage where he feels like he is being left behind because of his inability to grasp words.  He hates to do “school work” while he is not in school.  This program makes it all into a game so they are not aware they are learning.

When I first began teaching about ten years ago, the board was introducing some new software.  As a long term supply at this particular school we had an after school session on Clicker.  I was amazed how interactive and user friendly the program was.  While researching I found Clicker 5 which I am sure is the latest version.  



No comments:

Post a Comment