Friday, March 13, 2015

FIVE

I decided to put on display my favorite lesson plan.  It is something I call FIVE.  This is an acronym for Fact, Interesting question, Voice your opinion and your own Experience.  After viewing a short video or movie I will often ask the students to create a FIVE.  The five is directly connected to the expectations by their own assessment of the information presented.


In the social science course I am presently teaching, HPW3C we have been discussing child development and the importance of socialization.  I found a short clip on Feral Children  and we watched it together, then I asked them to complete a FIVE.  


The FIVE is very significant as it is also a measure of their knowledge & understanding(they must state a fact or two), thinking & inquiry(a question...what if, what about), communication (giving their opinion) and application (connecting it to their own life).  


F =  knowledge & understanding
I  =  thinking and inquiry
V =  communication
E =  application


I use this method often as a measure of the course expectations and sometimes in place of a test, calling it the formal FIVE. In discussion circle we will create a FIVE together or sometimes use short ones as an exit ticket! To accommodate any students with exceptionalities, I can ask them to give me FIVE orally.

No comments:

Post a Comment